Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Recycling
Residential E-Waste Recycling
RIRRC offers free e-waste recycling to Rhode Island residents and public and private schools from grades K-12. Our program (the "State" program) keeps one collection container in each of RI's five counties. Any Rhode Islander can bring accepted materials to any State e-waste program location, listed below.
*Where are the State e-waste program locations?
- RIRRC (Johnston)
- Barrington: Recycling Center: 84 Upland Way, Barrington. Hours: Mon., Tues., Fri., Sat. 8am-4pm, Sun. 8am-12pm (closed Wed. & Thurs.).
- Coventry: Transfer Station, rear of 1670 Flat River Road (via the access road leading to the dog pound), Coventry. Open Mon.-Fri. Winter Hours: 7:30am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-3:00pm. Summer Hours: 6:30am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-2:00pm.
- Little Compton: Transfer Station, 122 Amy Hart Path, Little Compton. Hours: Monday 10am-6pm; Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat. 8am- 4pm (closed Sunday and Wednesday).
- Narragansett: Narragansett Department of Public Works Maintenance Facility (DPW): 260 Westmoreland Street, Narragansett. Hours: Mon.-Fri., 7:30am-3:30pm. Phone: 782-0687.
*What is accepted in the State e-waste program?
- Computers (including monitors, computer towers, laptops and tablets)
NO other items are accepted in the State e-waste program.
**What is accepted in other programs?
If your city or town is NOT a state e-waste program location, contact them to find out if they have their own e-waste recycling program by clicking on their name here: http://atoz.rirrc.org/towns.
Business E-Waste Recycling
Business can recycle a small amount (fewer than 15 complete systems) of TVs and computers at RIRRC for a fee of $0.20/lb., directly to our facility in Johnston during normal hours of operation, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. This usually comes out to about $5 per computer and $5 per television. Please only bring the units, and do not pack equipment in cardboard boxes and Styrofoam. Please unplug all cables and the mouse if still attached. Businesses with larger amounts can view the list of electronics recyclers on the left-hand said of this page under "Related Files" for helpful recycling information.
For more information about electronic waste recycling, email Joe Rotella.
Goodwill Industries of RI, 100 Houghton Street, Providence, RI, is accepting all types of E-Waste for their e-waste recycling training program. They will accept electronic items EXCEPT televisions, desk top printers, and computer monitors. They accept the electronics donations Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 401.861.2080, ext. 144 for more information or if you operate a business.
The mission of Goodwill Industries of Rhode Island is to providence training, education, and other services which result in employment and expanded economic opportunities for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment in order to enhance their capacity for independent living, increased quality of life, and work.
Retailers & Manufacturer Programs
As more retailers and manufacturer programs develop, we'll add to and expand this section. Some retailers and manufacturer programs carry associated recycling fees.